Re: residuation for compositional search?

From: Antonio Regidor García <a_regidor_at_yahoo.es>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:12:55 +0100 (BST)

--- El mar, 14/6/11, Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de> escribió:

> I would agree if you would say "successful termination".
> In case of failures, I think there are many languages or
> systems
> where the ability to fail instead of running into an
> infinite
> loop depends on the abilities of the compiler. For
> instance, if you
> require that some class of programs should not terminate,
> you exclude the development of sophisticated loop detection
> techniques
> that provide useful error messages to the programmer
> instead of
> simply looping.

I don't think this is the case here. There is no error message here.

For small programas there is no big deal, but for production software this can be a serious problem. You have a large software that works ok when compiled with compiler A. Some day, you try compiler B and then the program dies with a stack overflow and suddenly you have hundreds of bugs to search for.

But, if the difference is only for meta-programming stuff, maybe the problem is not so serious.

Greetings

Antonio