[curry] Re: How to interpret a data type with no RHS

From: Finn Teegen <fte_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 16:02:32 +0200

Hi Andy,

Wolfgang perfectly described the meaning of a data type with an empty
right hand side. In order to distinguish such data types without values
from those that are externally implemented in the runtime system, we
introduced a new syntax for the latter. For example, the predefined type
`Int` is now declared as follows in the `Prelude`.

external data Int

Since we did not want to change the definition of FlatCurry too much (or
even at all), the front end still translates the definition above into a
type without any constructors in FlatCurry. To implement the distinction
nonetheless, a single constructor is added to data types without a right
hand side. And since the name of this constructor must not clash with
other defined operations, the front end uses a special prefix, namely
"_Constr#" (which is of course not legal in Curry, but in FlatCurry).
However, this translation is strictly speaking wrong as Wolfgang stated.
Correct translations of the data type

data A

would be

data A = A !A

or

newtype A = A A.

Unfortunately, both of these translations are not possible at the moment
due to Curry's lacking support of bang patterns or recursive newtypes.
The current solution therefore is just a temporary one. By the way, the
change in the translation was not related to the introduction of type
classes or in any way connected to them. The original motivation was an
issue with our KiCS2 compiler.

Anyway, we plan to add newtypes to FlatCurry in the near future (this
plan is related to type classes). This way the second translation of
data type with an empty right hand side would become possible.
Alternatively, it would of course also make sense to distinguish
externally defined data types from those with an empty right hand in
FlatCurry itself.

I hope this explanation helps a bit.

Regards,
Finn