Re: Timing Curry programs

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:02:13 +0200

On 10/20/2017 12:15 AM, James Koppel wrote:
> (I do prefer an answer for KiCS2 over PAKCS, because I have the
> understanding that KiCS2 is faster.)

You have to be careful. You are right that KiCS2 is generally faster,
but this depends on the kind of applications. It is much faster for
purely deterministic computations, but for non-deterministic computations
it might not be the case. Since KiCS2 offer much more flexible
evaluation strategies, this comes with some cost. There are cases
where non-determinism is duplicated (due to the combination of laziness
and non-determinism) so that you might get an exponential increase
in some computations. See

http://drops.dagstuhl.de/opus/volltexte/2012/3616/

for a discussion (and partial solution).