Re: Multiple instances of PAKCS interfere with each other

From: Karn Kallio <tierpluspluslists_at_skami.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 03:34:53 -0430

> It seems I've found a bug in PAKCS. I have a small example:
>
> -- example.curry
> main = 26+27
>

> # go.bash
> pakcs -q :l example.curry :eval main :q &
> pakcs -q :l example.curry :eval main :q &
> pakcs -q :l example.curry :eval main :q &
> pakcs -q :l example.curry :eval main :q &
> wait
>

> Running go.bash gives the following errors on my system:
>
> ERROR: /tmp/pl_pakcs_main_11765_0:36:0: Syntax error: Unexpected end of file
> ERROR: /tmp/pl_pakcs_main_11765_0:67:0: Syntax error: Unexpected end of
> file ERROR:
> ERROR: delete_file/1: file `/tmp/pl_pakcs_main_11765_0' does not exist (No
> such file or directory) ERROR: source_sink `/tmp/pl_pakcs_main_11765_0'
> does not exist
> ERROR:
> ERROR: delete_file/1: file `/tmp/pl_pakcs_main_11765_0' does not exist (No
> such file or directory)
>
> PAKCS_Main_Exp.curry, line 1.17:
> `main' is undefined
> ERROR occurred during parsing!
>
> PAKCS_Main_Exp.curry, line 1.17:
> `main' is undefined
> ERROR occurred during parsing!
> ERROR:
> ERROR: blocked_normalizeAndCheck/4: Undefined procedure: nf/4
> 53
>

> Everything works if I remove the ampersands. I kept the example small by
> running the same Curry script in each invocation, but that is not necessary
> to see the problem.
>
> It looks like the different instances of the program are all using the same
> temp file name.
>
> I am running this version of PAKCS:
> ______ __ _ _ ______ _______
>
> | __ | / \ | | / / | ____| | _____| Portland Aachen Kiel

> | |
> | |__| | / /__\ \ | _ | | | |_____ |
> | |
> | ____| / ______ \ | | \ \ | |____ _____| | Version 1.11.4 (4)
> |
> |_| /_/ \_\ |_| \_\ |______| |_______|
>
> Curry2Prolog(swi 5.10) Compiler Environment (Version of 2014-10-16)
> (RWTH Aachen, CAU Kiel, Portland State University)
>

> This appears to be a bug. Can I file a bug report somewhere (or is this
> mailing list the place)? This is a problem for me because I want to use
> pakcs as part of a software build step. This bug prevents me from building
> in parallel.
>
> -Andy

At least in the case of SWI Prolog, this is because the pid of the swi
interpreter process running during the install of PAKCS is taken and saved by
the qsave_program/2, so that explains why the temporary file is always the
same. A "brute force" way to fix this would be to declare mainPrologFileName/1
in swibasics.pl as volatile, by for example adding a line
:- volatile mainPrologFileName/1.
to the file curry2prolog/swibasics.pl. That should be enough to get a different
temporary file name with each swi interpreter process. Note that in
curry2prolog/compiler.pl the writeGenericClauses/1 is most probably going to
redefine several predicates now that the filename has changed. I think you
could fix that by studying the implementation to see what predicates they are
and then declaring all of them as multifile.

Maybe this is not enough to get several interpreters running concurrently
though ... there may be other obstacles.

Saludos,
Karn