Re: Invertible nondeterminism?

From: Julio Mariņo <jmarino_at_fi.upm.es>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:53:51 +0100

2010/12/16 Sebastian Fischer <sebf_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>:
> Hi Julio,
>
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 13:23 +0100, Julio Mariņo wrote:
>> The idea seems mathematically reasonable and reminds me to
>> constructive negation in constraint logic programming.
>
> Does constructive negation use something like the Grothendiek-group or
> does the similarity not go that far? Anyway, thanks for the pointer,
> I'll look into it.

I am not aware of algebraic presentations of constructive negation in
LP. Lipton, Gallego and I have a couple of papers on Logic Programming
in relational algebra that could yield an algebraic framework for
negation, and indeed, this has been pointed as future work.

>> The domain-theory needed for anti-answers would be similar,
>> apparently, to constructive computed answers in CLP(Herbrand) with
>> equalities and disequalities, but I am being highly speculative here.
>
> I hope to get away with a purely algebraic construction as the
> Groethendiek-group is an abelian group for every underlying commutative
> monoid. I intend to conclude from the commutative monoid laws that the
> inversion laws hold by construction without developing a separate
> theory..

Emilio Gallego's thesis deals with an allegoric foundation for the
semantics of LP and FLP. I will point him to this discussion as it
might be related.

> Sebastian

Best,

Julio