Re: Intended meaning

From: Francisco J. Lopez Fraguas <fraguas_at_sip.ucm.es>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:53:15 +0100

A problem I had with this discussion is that it was not clear
(to me) which is Sergio's answer (or preferred answer, if there are more
than one) to his starting question:

    Given the following program:

        test = 1+x ? zero x where x free
        zero 0 = 0

    what should the evaluation of test produce?

Disregarding secondary (imho) aspects related to residuation,
the example was accurately examined from the point of view of
'classical' Curry (coinciding also with Toy/CRWL view) by Michael and Wolfgang.
I do not see anything problematic with the example, as far as
one is concerned with individual results corresponding to different
alternative computations.

After the first messages it seemed to me that Sergio suggested
the following computation

    test
      -> 1+x ? zero x where x free
      -> {x->0} 1+0 | {x->0} 0
      -> {x->0} 1 | {x->0} 0

as a right and complete computation
(complete in the sense that there was no need
of considering other computations).
Since in my view that computation is semantically right
(narrowing at any position is sound, but may lose answers;
the computation strategy is responsible of not losing answers)
but uncomplete, I sent my example

      f 0 = 0
      g 1 = 1
      goal: f x ? g x where x free

which, according to my thoughts about Sergio's thoughts,
would lead to different results depending on which expression
(f x or g x) was reduced first. Apparently by his reply,
also Bernd was thinking in this direction.

Bernd's answer, agreed by Sergio, introduced generators to replace
free variables, thus replacing narrowing over the free variables by evaluation
of the generators. If I'm not wrong, the use of generators (in the sense of
papers by Sergio&Michael, Bernd and myself) do not change the set of ground
values that can be obtained from an expression (more precise statements
can be found in the three papers, with proofs
corresponding to different formal settings).
Therefore, nothing essentially different
(from the point of view of individual computed values) is
obtained from generators, except some possible loss in the generality of
answers.
which can be seen only as a minor problem, in particular if generators ease
some approaches to implementation.
Personally, I prefer to maintain the possibility of genuine free variables
to be narrowed in the classical sense (although respecting call time choice,
as in our wlp2007 paper).

In any case, the use of generators/rewriting to replace free variables/narrowing
does not need any new theory nor formal setting (this doesn't mean that
nothing interesting can be investigated).
Existing formalisms (CRWL and its
rewriting-with-let-bindings counterpart --see our ppdp07--, or the operational
semantics of JSC mentioned by Michael) cope perfectly with generators,
which conceptually are not different from any other function, as happens
also with the function ?.
I don't think that giving to generators or to ? a special
status from the point of view of the semantics (intended or formal) is a real
need,
not even an advantage.

A different question is the interest of developing an operational procedure
where computations produce set of values, instead of individual ones.
This is interesting in many aspects, has been addressed several times,
and might profit of a sage usage of generators combined with ?, as it seems
you are working out in your recent papers.
But I don't think that this needs changing the foundations of FLP.
Instead, in my opinion such collecting procedures should guarantee
equivalence with the semantics given to individual computations in previous
proposals (CRWL, JSC, ppdp07).
This was done for instance, for CRWL and the set-valued semantics in our
lpar01/flops02 papers.

As a final remark, I support Michael's idea of giving to Curry a CRWL-based
declarative
semantics and replace the present operational
description of Curry based on disjunctive expressions by a new one
specifying individual computations and at the same time respecting call-time
choice
(an issue not well covered in the report).
JSC semantics and/or let-rewriting/narrowing of our ppdp07/wlp07 papers
are good candidates.

Sorry for the very long message and best regards,

Paco