Re: New PAKCS release (Version 1.8.0)

From: Francisco Javier López Fraguas <fraguas_at_sip.ucm.es>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:52:40 +0200

Bernd Brassel wrote:

> This I do not understand. Should "the system" not try to

> correspond to

> the report rather than vice versa?

You are right if you give absolute preference to the present status of the report.

What my example shows is that under non-determinism with call-time choice, eta expansion changes the

semantics. Therefore, what the report says and the implementations do (with respect to eta expansion)

should coincide. What to choose  is a decision  to take.

>And do you think the system should

> use eta expansion or not?

Spanish people are mostly against ETA, even more against ETA expansion!-)

More seriously, I'm glad with CRWL's HO intensional semantics  which does not assume eta expansion.

TOY's implementation corresponds to that intensional semantics and accordingly does

not perform eta expansion.

Good references for HO aspects of CRWL (including polymorphic types) are

_at_inproceedings{Gonzalez-MorenoHR97,

  author = {J. C. Gonz{\'a}lez-Moreno and
               Maria Teresa Hortal{\'a}-Gonz{\'a}lez and
               Mario Rodr\'{\i}guez-Artalejo},
  title = {A Higher Order Rewriting Logic for Functional Logic Programming.},
  booktitle = {ICLP},
  year = {1997},
  pages = {153-167},
}
  (Sorry, I cannot  give link to electronic version; maybe Juan Carlos Gonzalez can)

_at_article{Gonzalez-MorenoHR01,
  author = {Juan Carlos Gonz{\'a}lez-Moreno and
               Maria Teresa Hortal{\'a}-Gonz{\'a}lez and
               Mario Rodr\'{\i}guez-Artalejo},
  title = {Polymorphic Types in Functional Logic Programming.},
  journal = {Journal of Functional and Logic Programming},
  volume = {2001},
  number = {1},
  year = {2001},
}