Re: Proposal: restrict multiple guards

From: Wolfgang Lux <wlux_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:47:28 +0200

Michael Hanus wrote:

> However, I am currently updating the report (also to include
> case expressions) and will also add your suggestion.

So this reminds me of another suggestion. I complained a while ago
about the lack of some mechanism to match rules sequentially from
top to bottom in Curry. My proposal to change the matching of rigid
functions in this way or introduce another evaluation annotation for
this purpose got a lot of disagreement on the list.

As I'm still convinced that this feature is useful, I have implemented
case expressions in the Münster Curry compiler such that their
alternatives
are matched from top to bottom and (only) the first matching alternative
is evaluated.

What are your ideas wrt. to case expressions? Do you intend to provide
some kind of top-down matching as in the Münster Curry compiler or will
overlapping patterns in a case expression lead to non-deterministic
evaluation?

Regards
Wolfgang