Re: Curry syntax

From: Andy Jost <Andrew.Jost_at_synopsys.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 22:34:37 +0000

Hi Wolfgang,

Is there some difference between let bindings and where bindings in this regard? It seems if the functional pattern you show could work in a "let" context, then it should also work in a "where" context. Is this an MCC extension?

I see your points and take them well. I think the nub of my suggestion (which I now see more clearly) is to interpret an expression in a binding context as a constraint. So, something like:

        let length x == 3 in x
                OR
        x where length x == 3

There's no use for this in a functional setting, but in Curry it has meaning. I don't know how much the syntax would be disturbed, but it seems possible that ambiguities could be introduced by allowing this.

I think my intuition comes from the "let x free in ..." and "... where x free" constructs. Those already don't bind x, but establish a property regarding it.

Anyway, I don't disagree that this could be a disruptive change.

-Andy