Re: Random labeling options for CLPFD

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:23:34 +0100

On 11/05/2015 06:10 PM, lausgans_at_gmail.com wrote:
> random_variable is the variable selection strategy: the random variable=
 is selected next for instantiation (so stochastic not yet tried permutat=
ion per solution in contrast to controlled vars traversal in other strate=
gies).
> random_value is the value order option: the domain is explored for inst=
antiation in random order (set random not yet tried value within domain t=
o selected variable instead of incrementation with up/down orders).

> They may be used separately for a single solution with either random pe=
rmutation or random set of values requirements, or combined together for =
random distribution when multiple solutions are needed. The only current =
problem I know is that they both set the seed, so when used together, the=
 option order matters: https://github.com/SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel/blob/mas=
ter/library/clp/clpfd.pl#L1496 Not a case for time-dependent seed value t=
hough :-)

Hi Alex,

thanks for the explanation which is helpful.
I've added both options to the libraries CLPFD and CLP.FD
(available in the PAKCS distribution 1.14.0 of today).