Re: set functions and weak encapsulation

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:38:57 +0100

Dear Sebastian,

thanks for this new view on set functions.
I was aware of the fact that set functions do not strongly
encapsulate all non-deterministic computations.
One motivation for set functions is to restrict the features
for encapsulating non-deterministic computations in order to
obtain a form of encapsulation which is independent of the
evaluation strategy, e.g., one can reason about the expected
results of a computation by a call-by-value strategy but use
call-by-need as a more efficient implementation.

Although one can implement set functions in MCC via findall
(which is a good point!), I think one should use the limited
form of set functions (which is more comprehensible) rather than
the general findall with its known drawbacks.