Re: Name discussion for new primtive

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:43:52 +0100

Bernd Brassel wrote:
> Are there more pros and cons that I did not mention? Herbert, do you
> have some more arguments in favour of waitFor?
> It seems to me now, that groundHnf and nonVar are the most reasonable
> names, what do you think?

I agree but I have a slight preference for nonVar because I think
that groundHnf sounds a bit too technical. When I teach functional
(logic) programming, first I explain the constructs of the language
without defining the concrete evaluation strategy. Thus, the notion
of a head normal form becomes relevant very late. For instance,
look at Simon Thompson's Haskell book where you do not even find "hnf"
in the index! Thus, I think nonVar is much easier to explain
to newbies than groundHnf.

Regards,