Re: Curry-on to infinity

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:53:00 +0100

On 12/09/2015 07:41 AM, Sebastian Hanowski wrote:
> Then would this definition would be a little more acceptable?
>
> fibgen fib | head fib =:<= 1
> & head (tail fib) =:<= 1
> & tail (tail fib) =:<= zipWith (+) fib (tail fib) = fib
>
> fib = fibgen unknown
>
> It just like it how this line

> & tail (tail fib) =:<= zipWith (+) fib (tail fib) = fib
>
> makes so clear that to compute later parts it uses only earlier parts.
>
> And the expression right hand side features only proper sub-parts of the
> one on the left.
> Looks pretty safe like being "structurally recursive" somehow ;)

As I wrote before, the second argument of the non-strict unification
operator (=:<=) must be a pattern variable in order to stay in the
well-understood framework of functional patterns. Since this is not the
case in your definition, it might compute something as intended,
but the general declarative semantics is not clear (to me).