Re: cannot define operators

From: Michael Hanus <mh_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:45:43 +0200

On 04/24/2013 02:33 PM, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
> Just a bit of history. Haskell used to have the same convention as Curry, i.e., two consecutive dashes at the start of a token would always begin a line comment. AFAIR, this was changed for the Revised Haskell 98 report, but nobody cared to update Curry's lexical syntax at that point. I agree that it would be a good idea for Curry to follow Haskell's current rules.

Thanks for the history which I guess is right.
We can go either way but I am undecided.
Doing the same change as in the revision of Haskell
might be fine to avoid surprises when using Curry
instead of Haskell. On the other hand, this change
might break some existing code. For instance,
I have many programs where I wrote something like

main = 1?2 --> 1 or 2

to provide a comment about the expected results.
These kind of comments would result in illegal
programs with this change.

So, adapt to Haskell or avoid such code breaks?

Any arguments or positions?