Re: Curry Crash Course

From: Sebastian Fischer <sebf_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:02:39 +0100

Hi Sergio,

I agree that using sets is the more principled approach.

There seems to be a tension that has not been mentioned yet in the
discussion. Lists support the implementation of other evaluation-order
dependent constructs such as committed choice. I could not define the
function `once` in Evaluator.lcurry with the "pure" interface on sets that
you describe (and is provided by the Values type in the SetFunctions
module). Values can be turned into a list by sorting them but it seems
counter productive to sort all values in order to commit to one and sorting
does not terminate for infinite lists.

Maybe we should aim for a pure approach (like set functions) on one hand
and a more powerful approach that allows more control (like commited choice
or heuristics such as findbest based on try) on the other.

Or maybe committed choice is all we need to add? Is it possible to make try
evaluation-order independent by using sets instead of lists and then use it
to implement an evaluation order independent variant of findbest? Maybe
not, because findbest itself performs commited choice if there is more than
one best solution. On the other hand, findbest could instead yield an
arbitrary best solution (i.e. all of them) nondeterministically and
programmers can then use committed choice to commit to one.

Best regards,
Sebastian