Re: slight differences between non-termination and failure

From: Jan Christiansen <jac_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:11:58 +0100

On 03.02.2011, at 09:16, Michael Hanus wrote:

> Right, otherwise I would be surprised since purely functional Curry
> programs (without overlapping rules) should have the same operational
> behavior as in Haskell.

Well, I think at least this is not the case if you consider rule based
definitions. The following function has different operational
behaviours in Haskell and in Curry because of the difference in
translating rule based definitions into case cascades. We have f _|_
False = 2 in Curry and f _|_ False = _|_ in Haskell.

f True True = 1
f _ False = 2

Cheers, Jan