Re: Invertible nondeterminism?

From: Sebastian Fischer <sebf_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:41:01 +0900

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 23:19 +0900, Sebastian Fischer wrote:
> a = const a failure
> = const a (failure ? failure)
> = const a failure ? const a failure
> = a ? a

I'm sorry for not collecting my last three messages (including this one)
in a single message. I was too excited to wait ;)

Here is a summary:

  1. In a lazy language with call-time choice, choice is idempotent.
  2. An idempotent abelian group has exactly one element (the unit).

So, for a language with invertible nondeterminism to be interesting it
cannot have both laziness and call-time choice. But I think for a strict
language and for a lazy language with run-time choice semantics,
invertible nondeterminism would be interesting to investigate.

Are there other interesting variants?

Sebastian