Re: New PAKCS release (Version 1.8.0)

From: Bernd Brassel <bbr_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:20:50 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, seha_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de wrote:

> I'd like to point out that addition only requires that argument to be
> ground on which the recursion takes place. Such equations then become
> either solvable or refutable with partial evalutation and first-order
> unification only. Narrowing should not be needed. Must have to do with
> Presburger arithmetic, the additive fragment of arithmetic, beeing
> decidable.

Yes, this would be a possible way to formalize addition by a unary
representation of numbers. For an actual implementation view however, this
might be a bit too inefficient. We adopted therefore a binary
representation which then is recursive on both arguments. In howfar this
changes the situation you describe is an interesting topic.