Re: a proposal featuring a bug

From: Wolfgang Lux <wlux_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:59:11 +0100

Bernd Brassel wrote:

> Wolfgang lux once proposed a function "clone" in this mailing list.

And I also noted that such a function has a dubious semantics. I
suggested
it only as means to implement encapsulated search with strong
encapsulation
on top of MCC's weak encapsulation (and in fact MCC's implementation
of the
AllSolutions module uses this trick).

> This
> was essentially the function you would need to use Sergio's scheme and
> get the result you want. And the kics compiler, which release is
> soon to
> be announced here, has a mode in which free variables are implemented
> this very same way.

You mean that
   let y = 0?1; f _ = y + y in f 0
and
   let y = 0?1; f _ x = x + x in f 0 y
are evaluated differently (the former having solutions 0, 1, and 2 and
the latter having only solutions 0 and 2)? If so, have you carefully
consider the semantics of this feature? E.g., what are the solutions of
   let y = 0?1; f x = x + y in f y

Regards
Wolfgang