Re: Help with a little function called "choose"

From: Sergio Antoy <antoy_at_cs.pdx.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 12:57:58 -0700

Hi Matthew,

The following PAKCS fragment tells you which variable is
instantiated, if any. If both variables are instantiated,
however, it does NOT tell you which was instantiated FIRST.
I hope it helps nevertheless.

Now, a word of wisdom. I think that the need to know whether a
variable is instantiated should be very rare indeed. Perhaps,
your solution to the problem you are facing is bad, if such
solution relies on knowing whether a variable is instantiated.

Good luck and have fun with with pakcs,
Sergio

import Unsafe

choose :: a -> a -> String
choose a b = helper (isVar a) (isVar b) where
   helper True True = "Neither var is instantiated"
   helper True False = "Only the second var is instantiated"
   helper False True = "Only the first var is instantiated"
   helper False False = "Both vars are instantiated"

test00 = choose a b where a,b free
test10 = choose "a" b where b free
test01 = choose a "b" where a free
test11 = choose "a" "b"