Re: Curry module system

From: Frank Huch <fhu_at_informatik.uni-kiel.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:36:47 +0100

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>>>But because it's so obscure, it shouldn't be used, in my opinion.
>>>
>>I mean the name is obscure for meaningful functions
>>or pattern variables so that it is not used in existing programs.
>>However, the name x_ is reasonable to denote an anonymous free
>>variable. Or any better suggestion for a compact name?
>>

>I would never name a global variable x or something similar. In fact, I also
>don't name any local variables x. I'm very much in favor of descriptive
>names like "free" (which is a reserved word, unfortunately).

I agree. Such a function should be named free_ instead of x_.
What I do not like is the difference between:
main = let free_ free in (free_,free_)

and
free_ = let x free in x
main = (free_,free_)

having local constants but only global functions will be confusing for
programmers. However, this is a general problem of Curry's design.

Regards,
Frank