Re: Curry module system

From: Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang_at_jeltsch.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:27:42 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2006 16:28 schrieb Michael Hanus:
> [...]

> I suppose one of the things you like to have included are record
> notation and field labels. After having done some larger software
> projects with Curry with many datatypes with evolving definitions
> over the time, I also think they should be included in the language
> definition. They do not complicate the language considerably
> but are just a useful abbreviation for functions which we
> usually defined by hand when we started these projects.
> So, I intend to include their definition in the report (Bernd
> has already written a proposal for this).

Note that the Haskell community repeatedly said that the current Haskell
record system is broken and this very community is searching for a better
alternative. Maybe we shouldn't include something into Curry which is
"broken".

> One other mini-proposal: I like to include the definition
>
> x_ = let x free in x
>
> in the prelude. Thus, one can easily introduce free variables
> occurring only once in expressions, e.g., (23,x_,x_).
> This is quite useful in database applications. The name "x_"
> reminds to anonymous pattern variables but is so obscure
> that it might not be in conflict with existing names.

But because it's so obscure, it shouldn't be used, in my opinion.

> Best regards,
>
> Michael

Best wishes,
Wolfgang