paper announcement

From: Sergio Antoy <antoy_at_cs.pdx.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:47:45 -0700

A recent paper on higher-order narrowing that may be of interest
to some members of this list is accessible as follows

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/faculty/antoy/Higher-order-Narrowing.ps.Z">
"Typed Higher-order Narrowing without Higher-order Strategies"</A>,
(joint with <A HREF="http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~apt">Andrew Tolmach</A>),
TR98-2, Portland State University, 1998.

Abstract

  We describe a new approach to higher-order narrowing computations
  in a class of systems suitable for functional logic programming.
  Our approach is based on a translation of these systems into
  ordinary (first-order) rewrite systems and the subsequent
  application of conventional narrowing strategies. Our translation
  is an adaptation to narrowing of Warren's translation, but unlike
  similar previous work, we preserve type information, which has a
  dramatic effect on the size of the narrowing space. Our approach
  supports sound, complete, and efficient higher-order narrowing
  computations in classes of systems larger than those previously
  proposed.

Regards,
Sergio

--------------------------------