Re: Narrowing: yes or no?

From: Michael Hanus <hanus_at_I2.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 13:24:46 +0200

Sorry for bothering you again with this topic, but I am
interested in comments to the following problem.

We already discussed the relation of narrowing vs. rewriting
and from some comments I had the feeling that narrowing
is considered too complex and thus should be abandoned.
Apart from the fact that
- narrowing is related to resolution and thus attractive for
  logic programmers, and
- there is a good theory about narrowing and its behavior,
I also suggested by one example in my email of July 3 that
narrowing has also an operational behavior very similar to
rewriting. If this is true, I can't see any advantage of
rewriting compared to narrowing. Since the relation between
these two models is not known in general, could somebody
provide an example where rewriting has a "better" operational
behavior than narrowing?

Thanks in advance,

Michael